The Visitor Center
|Hotel and Motel Reviews|
|Holland America Zaandan
Holland America Zaandan Alaska Cruise 2009 Inside Passage Day One
|Aztalan, Wisconsin Indian Fort||Aztalan is one of the most important archeological sites in Wisconsin, representing a complex life-style rarely found in the Great Lakes region: a unique blend of native and exotic cultures. Information about the site was first published in 1836, and since then the ruins have attracted considerable public and scientific interest. Archeological excavations continue to uncover valuable information about Aztalan's daily life.|
|Fort Frederick A Witness To War:
Built by the Maryland colony in 1756 during the French and Indian War, Fort Frederick’s stone walls surrounded three large buildings.
|Fort McHenry, Maryland
Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine. The Star Spangled Banner was composed offshore by Francis Scott Key while the British were bombarding the fort.
Fort Ligonier Pennsylvania
200 S Market St
Ligonier, PA 15658
Fort Ligonier was built in September 1758 and was first called Loyalhanna. British General John Forbes needed a staging area and supply depot for his planned attack on the French at Fort Duquesne and this site was only about 50 miles from Fort Duquesne.
Here at Fort Necessity National Battlefield, July 3rd 1754, Lieutenant colonel George Washington fought his first battle which marked the beginning of the French and Indian War in America and started the Seven Years War in Europe. "A cannon shot fired in the woods of America." Said Voltaire, "Was the signal that set all Europe in a blaze."
|Fort Washington Park is the site of the first permanent fort constructed between 1814-1824 to guard the Potomac River approach to our Nation's Capital. Today, the park offers many Recreational opportunities and programs. Explore the historic sites and enjoy the natural areas of this 341-acre reserve.|
|Gettysburg National Visitor Center
Gettysburg National Visitor Center
|Gettysburg National Battlefield Visitor Center Cyclorama
Gettysburg National Battlefield Visitor Center Cyclorama
|Gettysburg National Battlefield
Gettysburg National Battlefield
|Antietam National Battlefield
||The Battle of Antietam was named after Antietam Creek. It is also known, in the South, as the Battle of Sharpsburg because it was fought near Sharpsburg, Maryland. The battle was fought on September 17th, 1862. The Battle of Antietam was the first major Civil War Battle to take place on northern land. There were about 23,000 casualties.|
General Braddock's Grave / Road
On July 13, the British camped near here and Braddock died that night. He was buried under the road, in an unmarked grave to keep it from being disturbed by Indians.
|In 1860 Harpers Ferry was a thriving industrial community, by 1861 it was a prize of war. Virginia seceded from the Union on April 17, 1861. within twenty four hours retreating federal troops had torched the U.S. Armory and southern forces had taken control of the town. Confederate General “Stonewall” Jackson surrounded the town in September of 1862.|
|Manassas Bull Run Battlefield
||Manassas National Battlefield Park, located north of Manassas, Virginia, preserves the site of two major American Civil War battles: the First Battle of Bull Run on July 21, 1861, and the Second Battle of Bull Run which was fought between August 28 and August 30, 1862 (also known as the First Battle of Manassas and the Second Battle of Manassas, respectively).|
|Manassas Bull Run Museum
The park is open daily from dawn to dusk.
2009 Entrance Fees
|Manassas City Visitor Center
Historic Manassas Visitors Center
|Manassas Jubilee of Peace Center
||In July 1911, an amazing- event took place here at Manassas, Virginia. The Manassas National Jubilee of Peace brought together Union and Confederate veterans fifty years after the first major battle of the Civil War. For the first time, veterans of both sides came together on the same ground in a ceremony of peace and reconciliation.|
||The military park encompasses four major Civil War battlefields: Battle of Fredericksburg, Battle of Chancellorsville, Battle of the Wilderness, and Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. It also preserves four historic buildings associated with them: Chatham Manor, Salem Church, Ellwood, and the house where Stonewall Jackson died. The ruins of the Chancellor family mansion are included. There are two visitor centers staffed by Park Service rangers, one in Fredericksburg near the foot of Marye's Heights, and another at the Chancellorsville site. Exhibit shelters are staffed on a seasonal basis at Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House. Chatham Manor in Stafford County is open daily. All sites are free.|
|Chatham Manor of Fredericksburg Virginia
||Chatham Manor is the Georgian-style home built between 1768 and 1771 by William Fitzhugh on the Rappahannock River in Stafford County, Virginia, opposite Fredericksburg. It was for more than a century the center of a large, thriving plantation. Flanking the main house were dozens of supporting structures: a dairy, ice house, barns, stables. Down on the river were fish traps. The 1,280-acre (5.2 km2) estate included an orchard, mill, and a race track where Fitzhugh's horses vied with those of other planters for prize money. The house was named after British parliamentarian William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, who championed many of the opinions held by American colonists prior to the Revolutionary War.|
|Ellwood Manor of Fredericksburg Virginia
||The Ellwood House was built as a private home by barbed wire entrepreneur Isaac Ellwood in 1879. It is located on First Street in DeKalb, Illinois, United States, in DeKalb County. The Victorian style home, designed by George O. Garnsey, underwent remodeling in 1898-1899 and 1911. The house was originally part of 1,000 acres (4 km²) which included a large stable complex known as "Ellwood Green." Isaac Ellwood lived here until 1910 when he passed the estate to his son, Perry Ellwood.|
|Fredericksburg Battlefield Virginia
||The Battle of Fredericksburg, fought in and around Fredericksburg, Virginia, from December 11 to December 15, 1862, between General Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia and the Union Army of the Potomac, commanded by Maj. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside, is remembered as one of the most one-sided battles of the American Civil War. The Union Army suffered terrible casualties in futile frontal assaults on December 13 against entrenched Confederate defenders on the heights behind the city, bringing to an early end their campaign against the Confederate capital of Richmond.|
||ALTHOUGH THE Wilderness yielded no clear winner, both sides emerged from the fighting feeling optimistic. Tactically, the Confederates could claim victory. Lee had inflicted heavy losses on the Union army and had twice turned Grant's flanks. Strategically, however, Grant held the upper hand, He not only retained the initiative, but he had also reduced the Confederate army by twenty percent-soldiers whom Lee could not readily replace.|
|Fredericksburg is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia located 50 miles south of Washington, D.C., and 58 miles north of Richmond. As of the 2000 census, the city had a population of 19,279. The Bureau of Economic Analysis combines the city of Fredericksburg with neighboring Spotsylvania County for statistical purposes. It is a part of the Washington Metropolitan Area.|
|General Stonewall Jackson Shrine
||Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson (January 21, 1824 – May 10, 1863) was a Confederate general during the American Civil War, and probably the most well-known Confederate commander after General Robert E. Lee. His military career includes the Valley Campaign of 1862 and his service as a corps commander in the Army of Northern Virginia under Robert E. Lee. Confederate pickets accidentally shot him at the Battle of Chancellorsville on May 2, 1863, which the general survived, albeit with the loss of an arm to amputation. However, he died of complications of pneumonia eight days later. His death was a severe setback for the Confederacy, affecting not only its military prospects, but also the morale of its army and of the general public.|
|Spotsylvania Courthouse Battlefield
||The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, sometimes simply referred to as the Battle of Spotsylvania, was the second major battle in Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's 1864 Overland Campaign of the American Civil War. It was fought in the Rapidan-Rappahannock river area of central Virginia, a region where more than 100,000 men on both sides fell between 1862 and 1864.|
|Cold Harbor Battlefield
||The Battle of Cold Harbor, the final battle of Union Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's 1864 Overland Campaign during the American Civil War, is remembered as one of American history's bloodiest, most lopsided battles. Thousands of Union soldiers were slaughtered in a hopeless frontal assault against the fortified troops of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Grant said of the battle in his memoirs "I have always regretted that the last assault at Cold Harbor was ever made. I might say the same thing of the assault of the 22d of May, 1863, at Vicksburg. At Cold Harbor no advantage whatever was gained to compensate for the heavy loss we sustained."|
|Fort Harrison was an important component of the Confederate defenses of Richmond during the American Civil War. Named after Lieutenant William Harrison, a Confederate engineer, it was the largest in the series of fortifications that extended from New Market Road to the James River that also included Forts Hoke, Johnson, Gregg, and Gilmer. These earthworks were designed to protect the strategically important Chaffin's Bluff on the James.|
|Gaines Mill Battlefield
||The Battle of Gaines' Mill, also known as the First Battle of Cold Harbor or the Battle of Chickahominy River, took place on June 27, 1862, in Hanover County, Virginia, as the third of the Seven Days Battles (Peninsula Campaign) of the American Civil War. Confederate General Robert E. Lee renewed his attacks against Union Brig. Gen. Fitz John Porter's V Corps, which had established a strong defensive line behind Boatswain's Swamp north of the Chickahominy River. Porter's reinforced V Corps held fast for the afternoon against disjointed Confederate attacks, inflicting heavy casualties on the attackers.|
|Garthright House Richmond National Battlefield Park||Garthright House Richmond National Battlefield Park|
|Malvern Hill Richmond National Battlefield Park
||The Battle of Malvern Hill, also known as the Battle of Poindexter's Farm, took place on July 1, 1862, in Henrico County, Virginia, was the sixth and last of the Seven Days Battles (Peninsula Campaign) of the American Civil War. Gen. Robert E. Lee launched a series of disjointed assaults on the nearly impregnable Union position on Malvern Hill. The Confederates suffered more than 5,300 casualties without gaining an inch of ground. Despite his victory, Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan withdrew to entrench at Harrison's Landing on the James River, where his army was protected by gunboats, ending the Peninsula Campaign.|
|Richmond National Battlefield Park Markers
||Richmond National Battlefield Park Markers|
|Petersburg Battlefield The Crater
||The Battle of the Crater was a battle of the American Civil War, part of the Siege of Petersburg. It took place on July 30, 1864, between the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, commanded by General Robert E. Lee and the Union Army of the Potomac, commanded by Maj. Gen. George G. Meade (under the direct supervision of the general-in-chief, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant).|
||Petersburg is an independent city in Virginia, United States located on the Appomattox River and 23 miles (37 km) south of Richmond. The population was 33,740 as of the 2000 census. It is in Tri-Cities area of the Richmond-Petersburg region and is a portion of the Richmond Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). The Bureau of Economic Analysis combines the city of Petersburg (along with Colonial Heights) with neighboring Dinwiddie County for statistical purposes. Other nearby counties are Prince George and Chesterfield County.|
|Appomattox Court House
||The Appomattox Court House National Historical Park is a National Historical Park of original and reconstructed nineteenth century buildings. It was signed into law August 3, 1935. The village was made a national monument in 1940 and a national historical park in 1954. It is located three miles (5 km) east of Appomattox, Virginia, the location of the Appomattox Station and the "new" Appomattox Court House. It is in the center of the state about 25 miles (40 km) east of Lynchburg, Virginia. The village is famous as the site of the Battle of Appomattox Court House and containing the house of Wilmer McLean, where the surrender of the Confederate Army under Robert E. Lee to Union commander Ulysses S. Grant took place on April 9, 1865, effectively ending the American Civil War.|
||Fredericksburg Battlefield Museum|
|New Glarus Swiss Historical Village|
|Lahaina Visitor Center Maui Hawaii
||The Lahaina Visitors Center is open Monday through Sunday, 9 to 5 to provide free maps, information and directions to visitors. We are located in the Historic Courthouse with a free museum upstairs and hallway exhibits.
Lahaina event information is available in person or by phone 808-667-9193. Cold drinks and gift sales support their services.
Aztalan Museum, Wisconsin
Corner of Hwy B and Hwy Q (2miles east of Lake Mills)
Jefferson, WI 53549
May 15th to September 30: 12pm to 4pm, Thursday to Sunday
|Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
The National Air and Space Museum (NASM) Smithsonian Institution is a museum in Washington, D.C., United States, and is the most popular of the Smithsonian museums. It maintains the largest collection of aircraft and spacecraft in the world. It is also a vital center for research into the history, science, and technology of aviation and spaceflight, as well as planetary science and terrestrial geology and geophysics. Almost all space and aircraft on display are originals or backup crafts to the originals.
Smithsonian Arts and Industries Building
The builiding is closed in preparation for renovation
900 Jefferson Drive, SW
The Smithsonian castle in Washington, D.C., is open every day of the year except December 25. Open from 8:30am-5:30pm. Summer hours are determined annually. See www.alerts.si.edu for museum closings due to inclement weather. Admission is Free!
|Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
|Smithsonian Hirschhorn Museum
The museum is open daily from 10 am to 5:30 pm (closed December 25) and is located at Independence Avenue and Seventh Street SW; admission is free.
|Freer Gallery of Art & Arthur M. Sackler Galleries
Freer Gallery of Art & Arthur M. Sackler Galleries
|Decatur House Museum
Decatur House is located one block north of the White House on Lafayette Square, on the corner of H Street and Jackson Place. The museum entrance is located at 1610 H Street, NW.
|National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian American Art Museum
The National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian American Art Museum are two museums that tell America's stories through art, history and biography—share a newly renovated National Historic Landmark building in downtown Washington D.C. The Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture, named in honor of a generous gift from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, includes the two museums and their special-purpose facilities.
|George Washington's Ferry Farm Home
||Ferry Farm, also known as George Washington Boyhood Home Site or Ferry Farm Site, is the name of the farm and home at which George Washington spent much of his childhood. In July 2008, archeologists announced that they had found remains of the boyhood home, which had burnt in a fire, including artifacts such as pieces of a tea set probably belonging to George's mother, Mary Ball Washington.|
|Chimborazo Medical Museum
||Chimborazo Hospital was an American Civil War era facility built in Richmond, Virginia, to service the needs of the Confederate Army. It functioned between 1862 and 1865, treating over 76,000 injured Confederate soldiers. It achieved a 20 percent mortality rate, and today the site is owned by the National Park Service and is used as the visitor center for the Richmond National Battlefield Park.|
|Tredegar Iron Works Richmond
||Tredegar Iron Works is a historic iron foundry in Richmond, Virginia, United States of America. The site is now the location of a museum called The American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar.
The foundry was named in honor of the town of Tredegar, Wales, United Kingdom, where iron works of the same name were constructed in the early 1800s, and which was also the hometown of Rhys Davies, the man originally in charge of constructing the facility. In 1833, a group of Richmond businessmen and industrialists hired Davies, then a young engineer, along with a number of fellow iron workers from the Welsh valley town, to construct the furnaces and rolling mills that later became the Tredegar Iron Works and Belle Isle Iron Works.
|Halloween, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
||Halloween, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
Halloween is a major celebration in Lahaina and has become a signature event in the past decades with crowds averaging between 20,000 to 30,000.  The evening starts off closing Front Street to cars so the Keiki Parade of children in costumes can begin. Eventually adults in costumes join in and by dark, the street changes to one big party. Coming to Maui for halloween has caught on, however, the celebration is also well-attended by locals as well.
Aztalan Days 2008
The first Sunday of every July is when Aztalan Days is held. The old school is open for the public to tour. There are demonstrations of pioneer skills such as weaving, spinning, quilting. The celebration takes place just a few hundred yards from the Aztalan State Park on the school grounds and across the road from the Aztalan Museum.
|Carthaginian Sailing Vessel, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
||Carthaginian Sailing Vessel, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii|
|Hale Pa Ahao Prison, Maui||Hale Pa Ahao Prison, Maui
Admission - FREE
In downtown Lahina at the corner of Waine'e and Prison Street.
|Haleakala Volcano, Maui, Hawaii
||Haleakala Volcano, Maui, Hawaii
Haleakala National Park Operating Hours & Seasons Seasons Haleakala National Park is open year-round, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except for severe weather closures. Hours The park is open 24 hours a day. Park Headquarters Visitor Center (7000 ft/2134 m) - 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Haleakala Visitor Center (9740 ft/2969 m) - 5:15 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Kipahulu Visitor Center (sea level) - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Visitor Centers Park Headquarters Visitor Center, Haleakala Visitor Center, and Kipahulu Visitor Center are open daily and year round subject to staff availability (with the exception of Haleakala Visitor Center on December 25 and January 1). All visitor centers have cultural and natural history exhibits. Books, maps, and posters are offered for sale by the Hawaii Natural History Association. Naturalists are on duty during business hours to answer questions and help you make the most of your visit.
|Hookipa Beach, Maui Hawaii||Hookipa Beach, Maui Hawaii
Note that there is no lifeguard, Restrooms, Showers, Picnic facilities, Sandy beach with rocky shoreline, Strong wind and currents, Two parking lots
|Kaanapali Beach, Maui, Hawaii
||Kaanapali Beach, Maui, Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach has got to be the most beautiful beach on Maui.
|Lava Tubes, Maui, Hawaii
||Lava Tubes, Maui, Hawaii
Self-guided Cave Tours 7 Days Per Week 365 Days Per Year 10:30 AM to 4:00 PM STALACTITES & STALAGMITES WARM COMFORTABLE TEMPERATURE AWESOME PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES This is an incredible family adventure. It is safe, fun and free of mosquitoes and bats. You will marvel at the underground lavascape, as your mind expands and your world becomes more wondrous. Temperatures are comfortable year round and the clear cinder trail is easily traveled. (You must have good vision and be physically fit for walking on this natural terrain). For Additional Questions or Information CALL: (808) 248-7308
Maui—Noi Ka Oi—You’ll see this a lot in Maui on T-shirts, wall hangers, license plates, refrigerator magnets and etc. It means “Maui’s the best.”
|Maui Ocean Center, The Hawaiian Aquarium, Maui Family Activity
||Maui Ocean Center, The Hawaiian Aquarium, Maui Family Activity
Hours of Operation Open 365 days of the year, from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. In July and August, open until 6:00 p.m. Driving Directions Map of Maui Ocean Center (mapquest) 192 Ma'alaea Rd Wailuku, HI 96793, US Directions to Maui Ocean Center from Kahului (airport) Drive West and take 380 to 30 to the Ma'alaea Harbor. Make a left at the stop light and enter the aquarium parking lot. From Lahaina or Ka'anapali Take 30 South for about ½ an hour and we are five minutes past the tunnel, on the ocean side. Take a right at the stop light in Ma'alaea and enter the aquarium parking lot.
Location: President Lincoln's Cottage is located on the Armed Forces Retirement Home (AFRH) campus in northwest Washington, D.C.
Entrance: Eagle Gate is at the intersection of Rock Creek Church Road NW and Upshur Street NW, 20011. This is the only open gate. There is no official street address.
GPS users: Enter "140 Rock Creek Church Road NW, Washington, D.C. 20011" to map the approximate location of Eagle Gate entrance. Free parking on the grounds. There will be a guardhouse gate to drive through and then turn to your left.
|The National Cathedral, Washington D.C. Officially named the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, had its beginnings in 1893 when Congress granted a charter creating the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation.
3101 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20012
|The National Mall, Washington D.C.
The National Mall is an open-area national park in downtown Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States. Officially termed by the National Park Service the "National Mall & Memorial Parks."
|Rosslyn Station, Washington Metro
Service at Rosslyn Station began on Service began on July 1, 1977. Rosslyn has an incredible escalator that is 205 feet 8 inches long. Despite the height, people are rushing up and down the moving stairs like it was standing still.
||Gadsby's Tavern Alexandria Virginia
Gadsby's Tavern Museum is made up of two buildings, the 1770 City Tavern and the 1792 City Hotel. Gadsby's Tavern was successful due to its location along the main stage route between Boston and Williamsburg. It was the social and political center for many years.
|Christ Church, Alexandria, Virginia
||Christ Church, Alexandria, Virginia
118 North Washington St.
Both George Washington and Robert E. Lee were members of this historic church. In 1942, President and Ms. Roosevelt, along with Winston Churchill, declared the first National Day of Prayer here.
|Old Town Alexandria Virginia
||Old Town Alexandria Virginia
AAA says you can tour Alexandria in 2-3 hours but we would recommend at least one whole day or two, if you can. We spent the whole day here and still missed a lot of things. Don't go on a Sunday or Monday unless you check ahead of time because the hours are shortert for many attractions. The tourist attractions close up around 5 pm on the norma days.
|Stabler Leadbetter Apothecary Museum, Alexandria, Virginia
||Stabler Leadbetter Apothecary Museum, Alexandria, Virginia
105-107 South Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Open Tues - Sat. 10am to 5pm. Sun - Mon 1pm - 5pm. Last tour at 4:45pm.
This is a very interesting building. Don't miss it.
|"Lee Fendall House, Alexandria, Virginia
||Lee Fendall House, Alexandria, Virginia Generations of the Lee family lived in this house.
614 Oronoco Street
Museum Hours Tue - Sat 10am - 4pm
Sundey -Monday 1pm - 4pm
Wed 10-1 group tours
Last tour 3pm
|Robert E. Lee Boyhood Home, Alexandria, Virginia
||Robert E. Lee Boyhood Home, Alexandria, Virginia
607 Oronoco Street
From 1967-2000 this house was open to the public but now this is a private residence and not open for tours.
|The Lyceum: Alexandria's History Museum
||The Lyceum: Alexandria's History Museum
201 S. Washington Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314
The Lyceum is located in Old Town Alexandria, near many shops, restaurants, and other museums and historic sites. Alexandria is half-way between Washington, D.C. and Mount Vernon.
|Torpedo Factory Art Center, Alexandria, Virginia
||Torpedo Factory Art Center, Alexandria, Virginia
105 North Union Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Walk through three floors of open studios and galleries to observe artists and buy original artwork. A former torpedo factory, this world-renowned art center is located on the waterfront of the Potamac River.
|Woodrow Wilson Plaza
||Woodrow Wilson Plaza, Washington D.C.
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC The Federal Triangle Metro (blue and orange lines) stops at the building. This is the closest Metro stop if you are going to the White House. No cameras, purses or virtually anything other than a wallet are allowed for White House Tours. The Museum of Natural History has storage lockers for only 25 cents but they are only for Museum patrons. So, do not plan on leaving your personal items there if you are not actually visiting the Museum.. Storage Lockers: Washington DC
|Lafayette Square, Washington D.C.
Lafayette Square is located directly across Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House.
The seven-acre public park is located directly north of the White House on H Street between 15th and 17th Streets, NW. The Square and the surrounding structures were designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1970.
|Stonehenge Stonehenge is a prehistoric monument located in the English county of Wiltshire|
||Eiffel Tower The Eiffel Tower is an iron tower built on the Champ de Mars beside the Seine River in Paris. The tower has become a global icon of France and is one of the most recognizable structures in the world.|
|St. John's Church
||St. John's Church, Washington D.C. St. John's Church is located at 16th and H Sts., NW at Lafayette Square in Washington, DC Every Sunday after the 11:00 am service, there is a guided tour of St. John's. The church is available for public visitation from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm everyday. Metro stop: McPherson Square|
|St. Patrick's Church, Washington D.C.
||St. Patrick's Church, Washington D.C.
619 10th St NW
Washington, DC 20001
|The White House, Washington D.C.
||The White House, Washington D.C.
Public tours of the White House are available for groups of 10 or more people. Requests for White House Tour Tickets must be submitted through one's Member of Congress and are accepted up to six months in advance. Tours are self-guided and begin at 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Fridays, and 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Saturdays (excluding federal holidays) Tour hours will be extended when possible based on the official White House schedule. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis. Get off the Metro at the Federal Triangle. This is the closest Metro stop if you are going to the White House. No cameras, purses or virtually anything other than a wallet are allowed for White House Tours. The Museum of Natural History has storage lockers for only 25 cents but they are only for Museum patrons. So, do NOT plan on leaving your personal items there if you are not actually visiting the Museum. Storage Lockers near the White House Washington DC
|Pebble Beach, The White House, Washington D.C.
||Pebble Beach, The White House, Washington D.C.
Pebble Beach is the nickname for the White House North Lawn area that was covered with gravel, where television correspondents do their stand-up shots with the White House in the background
|Hollywood Cemetery Richmond Virginia
||Hollywood Cemetery is a large, sprawling cemetery located at 412 South Cherry Street in Richmond, Virginia. Characterized by rolling hills and winding paths overlooking the James River, it is the resting place of two United States Presidents, James Monroe and John Tyler, as well as the only Confederate States President, Jefferson Davis. It is also the resting place of 25 Confederate generals, the most of any cemetery in the country. Included are George Pickett and J.E.B. Stuart.|
|Monument Avenue Richmond Virginia
||Monument Avenue Richmond Virginia|
|Michie Tavern Museum
||Michie Tavern, located in Albemarle County, Virginia, is a Virginia Historic Landmark that was established in 1784 by Scotsman William Michie, though in Earlysville. The Tavern served as the social center of its community and provided travelers with food, drink and lodging. It remained in operation, in the Michie family, until 1910, when it came to be owned by the Commonwealth of Virginia. In 1927, the Tavern was purchased by the Josephine Henderson, who had it moved seventeen miles from Earlysville to its present location, close to Monticello|
|Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
||Monticello, located in Charlottesville, Virginia, was the estate of Thomas Jefferson, the principal author for the United States Declaration of Independence, third President of the United States, and founder of the University of Virginia.
The house, which Jefferson himself designed, was based on the neoclassical principles described in the books of the Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. It is situated on the summit of an 850-foot (260 m)-high peak in the Southwest Mountains south of the Rivanna Gap. Its name comes from the Italian "little mountain."
| James Monroe's Ash Lawn Highland
||Ash Lawn-Highland, located near Charlottesville, Virginia, USA, and adjacent to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, was the estate of James Monroe, fifth President of the United States. Purchased in 1793, Monroe and his family permanently settled on the property in 1799 and lived at Ash Lawn-Highland for twenty-four years. Personal debt forced Monroe to sell the plantation in 1825. Before and after selling Highland, Monroe spent much of his time living at Oak Hill.
President Monroe simply called his home "Highland." It did not acquire the additional name of "Ash Lawn" until after his death.
|James Madison's Montpelier
||Montpelier was the estate of James Madison, fourth President of the United States. It is four miles (6 km) south of Orange, Virginia, and covers some 2,750 acres
The land, in the Piedmont of Virginia, was acquired by James Madison's grandfather, Ambrose Madison, and his brother-in-law Thomas Chew, in 1723. Ambrose and his family moved to the plantation, then known as Mount Pleasant, in 1732.
|Natural Bridge Of Virginia
||Natural Bridge in Rockbridge County, Virginia is a geological formation in which Cedar Creek (a small tributary of the James River) has carved out a gorge in the mountainous limestone terrain, forming an arch 215 ft (66 m) high with a span of 90 ft (27 m). It consists of horizontal limestone strata, and is the remains of the roof of a cave or tunnel through which the creek once flowed. It is crossed by a public road, U.S. Highway 11. There are fences on either side of the highway, blocking the view from the top of the bridge. Natural Bridge has been designated a Virginia Historical Landmark and a National Historical Landmark.|
|New River Gorge Grandview West Virginia
||New River Gorge Grandview West Virginia|
|Locust Grove Historic Home Louisville Kentucky
||Historic Locust Grove is a 55-acre 18th century farm site and National Historic Landmark situated in eastern Jefferson County, Kentucky (now a part of Louisville Metro). The site is presently owned by the Louisville Metro government, and operated as a historic interpretive site by Historic Locust Grove, Inc.
The main feature on the property is the ca. 1790 Georgian mansion that was the home of the Croghan family and gathering place for George Rogers Clark, Lewis and Clark, and U.S. Presidents. In addition to the mansion there is the Visitors Center that houses a gift shop, museum and meeting space.
409 ETR Tourist Trap
|Toronto, Ontario 409 ETR Tourist Trap
Ontario is so proud of their 407 ETR but let the tourist beware. This is the world's first all-electronic open access toll highway which extends 108 kilometres east-west, just north of Toronto. Once you get on this highway, they have you trapped. You think you are getting on a Toll Road but you are on a one way trip to a high credit card charge.
|George Washington, while road building, reached this spot and decided the road could not go through here because of the rough water.|
|Farragut Park, Washington D.C.
David Glasgow Farragut (July 5, 1801 – August 14, 1870) was a flag officer of the United States Navy during the American Civil War. He was the first rear admiral, vice admiral, and admiral of the Navy. He is remembered in popular culture for his order at the Battle of Mobile Bay, usually paraphrased: "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
|Falls of the Ohio
Indiana State Park
|The area is located at the Falls of the Ohio, which was the only navigational barrier on the river in earlier times. The falls were a series of rapids formed by the relatively recent erosion of the Ohio River operating on 386 million-year-old Devonian hard limestone rock shelves. Louisville, Kentucky, and the associated Indiana communities — Jeffersonville, Clarksville, and New Albany — all owe their existence as communities to the falls, as the navigational obstacles the falls presented meant that late 18th Century and early to late 19th Century river traffic could benefit from local expertise in navigating the 26-foot (7.9 m) drop made by the river over a distance of two miles (3 km). In its original form, the falls could be characterized more as rapids extending over a length of the river, than as a point-like discontinuity in a river such as Niagara Falls.|
Back to Main Page
Copyright © 2008 the-visitor-center.com